I don’t get it, I really don’t. I don’t see how the issue of Nick’s resignation can be so divisive. It seems to me that the whole issue about the “cartoon” boils down to seven salient points.
1. The term “incompetent morons” was not a “disembodied phrase.” It is on the page with all manner of criticism of “HBS Career Dink;” the reasonable attribution was career services. To say that there was no specific reference to any specific entity is a farce.
2. There is nothing satirical about the phrase “incompetent morons.”
3. The Harbus is a member of the HBS community, as are we and career services. We are bound by the community standards. Have been, will be.
4. Freedom of speech… I like that one. Normally invoked by people that don’t fully understand the context in which it came to be. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” Congress has little relevance in this situation. Besides, the First amendment has never meant that one can say anything they want in any forum. Didn’t we learn that in the third grade? Does anyone truly believe we have the right to say anything we want about anyone we choose to target and have a venue in Harbus? For me, it doesn’t even pass the common sense test. If it makes sense to you, let me know and I will publish a few choice words about you.
5. Unless I completely misunderstand, Nick Will was given a verbal warning with respect to the community standards. He was then advised that he is personally responsible for material printed in the Harbus. I don’t see how this can be a shock to anyone. Who else would be responsible? Or perhaps there should be NO responsibility for material printed. Of course he, as the editor, should be responsible. And if he can’t handle that, he should step down. I just hope he doesn’t think he can get a job at any other publication as an editor and NOT be responsible.
6. Do we really want our student newspaper bashing the administration for all our petty little insecurities? Is it reasonable to think that Career Services and the rest of the administration is not doing everything they can to help us out? What’s that? They aren’t perfect. Awesome, you do have a career opportunity!
7. Personal accountability. The world needs more of it, not less. I’m sure it has been a rough recruiting ride for the 2nd years, but I wish the student body would quit acting like we are entitled to jobs, and that it is career service’s responsibility to ensure we get one.
Wow, this freedom of speech thing is awesome.